The HP Garage
The HP garage in March 2009
The HP Garage is a private museum where the company Hewlett-Packard (HP) was founded. It is located at 367 Addison Avenue in Palo Alto, California. It is considered to be the “Birthplace of Silicon Valley.” It is a designated California Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The home, originally designated as 367 Addison Avenue, was first occupied in 1905 by Dr. John Spencer, his wife Ione, and their two adult daughters. Dr. Spencer became Palo Alto’s first mayor in 1909. In 1918, the house was divided into two separate apartments, numbered 367 and 369.
In 1937, David “Dave” Packard, then 25 years old, visited William “Bill” Hewlett in Palo Alto and the pair had their first business meeting.
In 1938, newly married Dave and Lucile Packard moved into 367 Addison Ave, the first floor three-room apartment, with Bill Hewlett sleeping in the shed. Mrs. Spencer, now widowed, moved into the second floor apartment, 369 Addison. Hewlett and Packard began to use the one-car garage, with $538 in capital.
In 1939, Hewlett and Packard formed their partnership, with a coin toss creating the name Hewlett-Packard.
Hewlett-Packard’s first product, built in the garage, was an audio oscillator, the HP200A. One of Hewlett-Packard’s first customers was Walt Disney Studios, which purchased eight oscillators to test and certify the sound systems in theaters that were going to run the first major film released in stereophonic sound, Fantasia.
The HP garage is not open for public tours, but the property can be viewed from the sidewalk and driveway.
Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
Karnak-style entrance to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, with statue of Tawaret
The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum (REM) is a museum devoted to Ancient Egypt, located at AMORC’s Rosicrucian Park in the Rose Garden neighborhood of San Jose, California, United States. It was founded by the Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis. The Rosicrucian Order continues to support and expand the museum and its educational and scientific activities.
A notable activity took place in 1999 when the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum started the traveling exhibition “Women of the Nile” accompanied by many lectures. “Women of the Nile” travelled across the United States of America and Canada, and continued until 2001. In 2000–2002, a stone figure of Cleopatra VII from the collection was displayed in Rome, London, and Chicago in similar exhibitions.
The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum’s child mummy traveled to Stanford University in nearby Palo Alto on May 6, 2005 to be studied under CT scans and other high-resolution methods of remote sensing, in a collaboration between the museum, Silicon Graphics, and Stanford University Hospital and the NASA Biocomputational Lab. The results were released at the 75th Anniversary of the Museum on August 6, 2005, with detailed scans, and these were covered by a Time article on the subject. One of the scanning images won the 2006 Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge 2006 co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and Science.
A statue of Taweret, the Ancient Egyptian hippopotamus-like goddess of pregnant women and childbirth, once stood at the entrance, but has been moved to the side to facilitate renovations to improve accessibility to the handicapped. Since 2004, the Museum has been completely renovated, with the following Gallery themes:
- Afterlife and Rock Cut Tomb
- Daily Life and Other Cultures
- Kingship and Palace
- Temple (Sekhmet) and Akhenaten’s Amarna period
- Rotating Exhibits.
Winchester Mystery House
View of the mansion from the southeast
The Winchester Mystery House is a mansion in San Jose, California which was once the personal residence of Sarah Winchester, the widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester. Located at 525 South Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, the Queen Anne Style Victorian mansion is renowned for its size, its architectural curiosities, and its lack of any master building plan. It is a designated California historical landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is privately owned and serves as a tourist attraction.
Ever since construction commenced in 1884, the property and mansion were claimed by many, including Winchester herself, to be haunted by the ghosts of those killed with Winchester rifles. Under Winchester’s day-to-day guidance, its “from-the-ground-up” construction proceeded around the clock, by some accounts, without interruption, until her death on September 5, 1922, at which time work immediately ceased. Sarah Winchester’s biographer, however, claims that Winchester “routinely dismissed workers for months at a time ‘to take such rest as I might.'” and notes that “this flies in the face of claims by today’s Mystery House proprietors that work at the ranch was ceaseless for thirty-eight years.”